Just as our skin requires a daily care regimen, it is also essential to have a dedicated lip care routine because the skin on our lips is not the same as other parts of our face and body. Although the structure can be said to be the same, the skin is much thinner and more sensitive, so our lips tend to get dry and dehydrated during the hot summer months and need to be constantly moisturized and replenished. to make sure they don’t crack. .
Our lips are exposed to all sorts of weather conditions, pollutants and changes during the summer that tend to have a drying and damaging effect, which is why a lip care routine is of the utmost importance to prevent that your lips from being damaged. Lips can also become dry due to lack of sebaceous glands, lack of moisture, excessive lip licking, medications and general dehydration of the body.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Dhruv Bhasin and Dhruv Madhok, founders of Arata, shared, “It’s easy to forget to take care of your lips until they get super dry and chapped and considering that your lips have no sebaceous glands, they dry out. much faster than your skin – requiring a bit more TLC. When battling chapped lips, hydration is the name of the game. Infuse your lips with natural oils and moisturizing butters that soften your lips, protect them from dryness and damage, and restore a natural, supple texture.
According to Namrata Soni, founder of Simply Nam, “The best way to take care of your lips every summer is to rub them at least two or three times a week in the shower. What I personally like to do is that after taking a shower with lukewarm/lukewarm water, I take a lip scrub, massage it on my lips with my fingers or you can also use a lip brush soft-bristled teeth and massage in product and rinse off excess. While doing so, make sure that all the dead skin and dry skin on your lips come off. After that, apply a lip mask or lip oils. This step is an absolute must in your routine as it instantly adds hydration to your lips and leaves them plumped up and feeling healthy and beautiful.
She added: “Then before you sleep at night after a long day at work, if you’re someone who wears lipstick every day, get into the habit of removing your lipstick with a cleansing towel. as it is an exfoliator in itself and once you remove your lipstick make sure there is nothing on your lips after that use a thick layer of lip mask and go for a good night’s sleep.It’s extremely important to make sure your lips are well moisturized, then if you’re someone who likes to wear liquid lipsticks, you can dab some lip oil on top of your lipstick. lips to keep lips extra hydrated.Most importantly throughout the day remember to drink enough water so that your body does not become dehydrated because if your body is dehydrated your lips will also become dehydrated instantly .
Beauty experts insist that simply wearing lip balm is not a long-term solution to your dryness problem. Dr. Taruna Yadav, Senior Ayurvedic Physician at Forest Essentials, asserted that your lips require a proper lip care routine so they can be perpetually at their healthiest, plump and soft state. She listed some lip care tips that you can refer to for perfect, hydrated and beautiful lips:
1. Exfoliate – Lip scrubbing can help slough off dead skin cells, giving way to renewed skin, improving blood circulation and reducing lip discoloration. Not only does it improve the texture of your lips, making them soft, plump and healthy looking, but it also makes applying your lipsticks easier and smoother. The sugar makes it a great natural exfoliator, and when mixed with lemon juice, it creates a soft, grainy paste that helps slough off dead skin cells and reveals smoother, fuller, healthier lips.
2. Hydrate – It’s no secret that hydration can do wonders for your health, not just on the outside, but on the inside as well. Dehydration causes a lack of moisture which results in dry, uncomfortable skin, the first signs of which appear on your lips when they become chapped and cracked. Drinking at least 1 to 2 liters of water a day maintains blood circulation and the radiance of your skin.
3. Hydrate – Although lip balms are only considered a necessity during dry winter weather, it is imperative to incorporate skin-nourishing and replenishing lip care products like natural lip balms into your lip care routine. for all seasons. The go-to product for healing dry, chapped lips, lip balm is a layer of protection that defends your skin against harmful environmental stressors and hydrates it with its moisturizing properties. Kokum Butter, Organic Beeswax, Vitamin E and Honey are moisturizing herbs and oils that help replenish and soften dry, chapped lips by sealing in moisture. Lip serums are perfect for adding a splash of color to your lip care routine – lip serums are infused with hydrating serums and blended with emollient healing butters like pure cow ghee, shea butter and moringa oil to keep your lips moist, shiny and deliciously scented all day long.
4. Protect – It is essential that we highlight one of the most underrated yet essential lip care tips – the use of SPF-infused lip care products. Sun exposure can cause damage by stripping moisture from your lips and can lead to discoloration and pigmentation.
Dr. Taruna Yadav revealed that homemade lip scrubs are another great way to exfoliate and moisturize lips using ingredients readily available at home. She suggested a few DIY recipes that can help easily slough off the stubborn layer of dead cells that accumulate on the skin to reveal softer, fuller lips:
1. Coconut and Honey Lip Scrub – Coconut oil is renowned for its antioxidant-rich and nourishing properties while honey is known for its moisturizing benefits. This scrub helps to exfoliate and moisturize your lips.
2. Rose and milk paste – The rose is known for its refreshing, healing and moisturizing properties. The milk, on the other hand, deeply cleanses the pores for a smooth and clean texture. This nourishing paste naturally brightens, brightens and reduces discoloration on your lips.
3. Cinnamon Lip Scrub – An ingredient known to temporarily enlarge lips, cinnamon acts as a natural exfoliant that smoothes and softens lips. This lip scrub is your go-to for a plumped, moisture-rich pout.