After decades of underrepresentation in fashion, the market for plus size clothing is booming; according to Statista, it is worth around $24 billion and growing at a rapid rate. With this explosion in demand comes obviously more options, meaning plus size fashion shopping is no longer confined to a handful of specialty stores or limited sections in department stores. Instead, everyone from retail giants like Nike to forward-thinking brands like Reformation have embraced more inclusive sizing and released freshly-imagined collections that appeal to a more diverse audience. The problem is no longer so much a lack of options, but rather finding the best places to buy plus size clothing in what has become a very crowded market.
While everyone will have a different take on where to shop, some retailers stand out for being out of the ordinary. They deliver extremely well-made pieces, with silhouettes that aren’t just functional but take fashion to another level: think gorgeous fabrics, innovative designs, and fits that really work with a woman’s body. As a plus size fashion influencer, Katrina Nichole is an expert at finding such brands. “I’ve been a lover of all things fashion since I was a little girl and I’ve lived in a bigger body all my life,” she says. “My number one priority when shopping is to find clothes that fit my ultra-curvy body well and look stylish.”
Her runs – which she shares on her popular TikTok, YouTube and Instagram accounts – often feature a mix of fashions, from on-trend looks and everyday essentials to super comfy fitness gear, which can be tricky to trim. His advice: “Take your measurements and still refer to size guides as each brand is different. I might be an L on top in one store and a 2X in another brand. Ahead, Nichole is sharing her favorite retailers and labels, so you can shop them and add them to your favourites. Also look for other shopping tips and fashion picks at the end.
The best plus size jeans
Best Plus Size Dresses
The Best Plus Size Workout Clothes
Best Plus Size Swimwear
Best Plus Size Wardrobe Staples
The best shopping tips for plus sizes, according to an expert
What fashion trends are worth following right now?
“I love how fashion, and especially plus size fashion, has evolved over the years, and for me, shopping is all about finding a balance between clothes that are both on-trend and timeless,” says Nichole. “I love high-end athleisure looks and also like to wear neutral pieces where accessories are the shining stars of the look.”
How do you find well-fitting pieces online when you can’t try things on first?
“Take your measurements and refer to the size guide on the site,” she says. “It’s so essential because each brand has very different size guides. I’m usually a size 20 in jeans and XL in tops, but this can vary depending on the material of the fabric and the brand’s size guide. I would also say that understanding fabric materials can also be helpful.You may be a size smaller in a jersey dress and need something larger in a non-stretch linen dress.
More choices for plus size women’s clothing
- Eloquii: Established from the start as a plus-size brand, Eloquii is especially popular for day-to-evening dresses, peplum pencil skirts, lightweight blouses and other wardrobe basics at affordable prices.
- summer salt: Best known for swimwear that fits a range of body types and needs, Summersalt has also expanded into activewear, pajamas and loungewear with fun colors and prints that are sensational.
- girlfriend collective: This sustainable-minded brand offers sizes up to 6XL and emphasizes recycled materials in its basics range which includes track pants, tops and t-shirts, leggings, lingerie and swimwear.
- Nike: For sportswear and athleisure in inclusive sizing, Nike is a favorite among fitness and fashion influencers, especially for leggings and sports bras.
- Athlete: The fitness brand’s 1X-3X collection features athletic and workout apparel made from super comfortable, versatile fabrics and fashion-forward designs that look great in the studio and beyond.